Sunday, May 8, 2011

It is better to practise a little than to talk a lot

Don’t all of us PR people just love talking!  If we are not writing we are talking.  One saying which I think perfectly relates to our profession as PR practitioners are - ‘If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit’ – And aren’t we perfectly good at it!
Even though we are professionals at talking and manipulating people we still need to know what we are talking about.  They say practise makes perfect.  Observe everything around you and listen to what other people have to say.  It is so important especially for us as entry level PR practitioners to practise a little before we talk a lot.
I am in the habit of talking before I think about what I want to say and then I only end up with my fingers burnt.  So often I regret what I have said or how I have said something.  We need to start to practise to think before we say something.  In the beginning it will not be easy, but I believe the more we practise the better we will become at it.



2 comments: