Monday, March 21, 2011

We are afraid of the wrong things.

What are you afraid of?  I am afraid of spiders, needles, the dark, getting dumped and of disappointing the people close to me.  I will categorise our fears in three different groups:  External fears like my fear for spiders, internal fears like my fear of being dumped and subconscious fears like my fear for disappointment.    
But where did these fears come from?  When we were born we didn’t have any fears except perhaps  to get hurt, loud noises or being hungry.  Fear is usually created in past experiences which scared us and caused pain or discomfort.  Fear is also more likely to develop while we are young and our minds are still developing.
Our natural reaction to fear is to run away as fast as we can in a different direction.  But what if all our directions are filled with fear?  I think it is possible to overcome our fears.  I also think it is important and necessary to overcome our fears.  Someone ones told me that we are largely controlled by our dominant emotion.  Are your dominant emotion fear?  Is it really necessary to be afraid of all the stuff we are afraid of?  Are we even afraid of the right things?
We all are unique and afraid of different things which were created by our past experiences, but I think the one dominant fear in all of us is of dying and at the same time being unsatisfied with your life.  Now you can ask yourself again is all this other fears really necessary?  Doesn’t it just prevent you from living your life you want to live?



2 comments:

  1. I agree, we should control our thoughts and feelings of fear and not let it control us - in order to live our lives to the full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. In many instances I had fear control my life and it is so very wrong.

    ReplyDelete